2016 really was the fine line between the best and worst year of my life … It was the year of lessons learned, but more so the year of growth in so many ways, on so many different levels.
1. Today, I can proudly say that my relationship with my Creator is solid, and I now realize that if He is not the foundation of your business, your relationship and life, you miss out on so many incredible things. We tend to say that our relationship with God is right / strong, but is it really? I also thought mine was…
2. No matter what happens in your life, if you can say at any time that you gave your best, it’s enough. The end product may not be regarded as successful, but I will rather fail, knowing that I have given 120%, than achieve success through shortcuts and double-crossing / abusing people along the way.
3. TD Jakes summed it up perfectly when he said: “If you can’t figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you straight into purpose”. Dreams are placed in our hearts for a reason. It is so much more than just dreams – that’s our purpose in life. Do not ever give up on those dreams. No matter how big or impossible it may seem.
4. Relationships are hard work. It’s not 50-50, but to give 100% of yourself. It’s literally taking your heart out of your body and give it to someone, not knowing what that person is going to do with it, but trusting them to honor and cherish it. To pray for your relationship and your “better half” is not easy, but it’s necessary – every day. More important: to pray TOGETHER … “A woman’s heart should be buried so deep in God that a man has to seek Him first in order to get to her” and “Couples that pray together, stay together” are two of my favorite quotes that I keep my Bible nowadays.
5. True friendship is rare. It’s in the tough and dark times that you realize who is worthy of being called a friend. True friendship knows no color or status; it’s not about who takes time to see each other, but who makes time … those who open their house, heart and box of tissues for you at 11pm; those with whom you can laugh until the tears run down your cheeks and your stomach starts to pain of laughter; those who bring out the best in you.
6. Our parents are ALWAYS right …. We do not always want to hear it, but they know better and see many things that we so very often miss. PLUS … like us, they are getting older each day. Use every moment possible to spend quality time with them.
7. It’s okay to lose the love of your life. Just because someone is our “everything” does not mean that it is all that God planned for us. Sometimes we need to walk a journey with that person in order to learn; to experience unconditional love – even if it’s just for that short period of time. The most important thing is to be able to walk away, knowing that you have given 100% of yourself at all times.
8. Forgiveness is a word so easily used, but difficult to apply. To forgive is damn difficult, especially when you were deeply hurt. To forgive yourself is even more difficult. It’s something that takes a long time, but the day that you manage to do so, is the day that you will understand true freedom.
9. It’s okay to miss people who are no longer part of your life and to miss the times you had with them. We can not turn our feelings off like a light switch. For one’s own good it is better that we try to remember the good times rather than cling to the pain. It’s that picture where everything was perfect for just one moment in time…
10. To stand up for yourself may be one of the hardest things you will do in your life, but it’s the best gift you will ever give yourself.
Many people have said that life begins when you turn 30 and only one year into that, I can honestly say it’s true! That also makes me super excited about the future! Let’s do this!!